top of page
M.B.S. series LE 101 - 106, from mail-baggage cars
to locomotives.

M.B.S. series LE 101 - 106, from 1913 to 1945

At the start of the N.V. Maas-Buurt Spoorweg in 1913, in addition to the Hohenzollern locomotives 40-45, the

Allan carriages AB 1-8 and the freight equipment, also four postal baggage wagons, were delivered.
These were also manufactured by Allan Rotterdam for a construction price of NLG 4250 each and initially placed in the series LE 101 - 104, a few years later renumbered in M.B.S. EL 101-104.
In 1916 the follow-up series EL 105 - 106 was delivered, with the 105 and 106 having two longitudinal benches in the luggage compartment, each of which could accommodate 20 passengers during busy periods.

These mail baggage wagons served excellently until 1933, but the M.B.S. to a cheaper form of traction than steam locomotives.

In order to reduce operating costs, diesel-electric traction was introduced in 1932, in which Jan Heijs played an important role.

To keep the series 101 - 106 consistent, the 106 was the first to be converted into a railcar in 1933, with the end wall in the post area being converted into a steering position.

The Stork (Ganz-Jendrassik patent) G4 diesel engine with 85 hp at 1000 rpm and the Smit-Slikkerveer generator were jointly suspended on a subframe, which was installed in the luggage compartment.

The generator supplied 56 kW at 270 V DC (the maximum current is approximately 200 A).

To keep the series consistent for the carriages, the AB 14 was the first carriage to be converted, with a steering position on one side, so that it could be combined with the 106 into a tram set with a fixed intermediate coupling.

Initially, this first set had a folding bellows in the transition between carriage and motor car, but these were removed before 1940.

This tram set D I (Diesel 1), numbered M.B.S. EL 106 - AB 14 entered service on May 15, 1934 after a trial.
It fully met expectations.
Tram D II (Diesel 2) followed on April 10, 1935, now with the EL 105 - AB 12, where the D I and D II were technically and optically identical.

On April 20, 1936, tram D III (Diesel 3) arrived as M.B.S. EL 104 - AB 14, the EL 106 was briefly built since then

linked to the AB 13.

Although these were more or less the fixed combinations, between 1936 and 1944 the pulling power was sometimes changed and a control car was sometimes driven as a separate carriage in the steam trams as reinforcement when the power car was out of service for major maintenance.
Tram unit D III differed from the D I and D II with a diesel engine and electrical installation, this was a Stork G6 diesel with 120 hp at 1000 rpm where the electrical installation could operate without a battery and the generator had a power of 75 kW at 270 V DC and a maximum current of 275 A.

To properly serve the intensive freight transport, two more railcars were built, now with two (smaller) steering positions without carriages and a heavier Stork G8 diesel with a maximum of 400 hp at 1450 rpm and 250 hp at 110 rpm (these G8 diesels came from the same order as the diesels used in the diesel-3 trains of the Dutch Railways) coupled with a heavier Smit-Slikkerveer generator of 150 kW at 300 V DC and a maximum current of 500 A.
The EL 103 was the first to be converted into an M.B.S. D IV (Diesel 4) and put into service on July 9, 1937, as the second motor car, the M.B.S. D V based on the EL 102, entered service November 1938.
Ultimately, at the end of 1938, EL 101 was the only one from this series that was not rebuilt; it could have formed a fourth tram set with carriage AB 11 as D VI.

D I, D II and D III were equipped with an Imbert wood gas installation between 1941 and 1943, as diesel oil was no longer available due to war conditions. D IV and D V were taken out of service and adjusted out of range of fire in the Heijense sand pit of the M.B.S.

This conversion was again carried out by Heijs in collaboration with Imbert gas generators 

After September 17, 1944, all M.B.S. equipment was actually no longer driven, it had suffered too much from the Second World War.
At the end of 1945, beginning of 1946, all the diesel-electric equipment, the carriages AB 1 - AB 14 and the mail baggage car EL 101, were sold to the N.V. Rotterdamsche Tramweg Maatschappij in Rotterdam.

158945_colorSAI_result.jpg
EL 105 - AB13 remiseterrein Gnp 21-08-1943_colorSAI_result.jfif

M.B.S. EL 106 - AB 14 D I in original composition at the exchange point in Plasmolen, mid-1930s.

The railcar has been in service here for less than a year and the D II would follow very soon..

(photo Regional Archives Nijmegen)

M.B.S. EL 105 - AB 13 D II op het remiseterrein te Gennep, 21 augustus 1943 (foto J. Voerman)

De motorwagen heeft sinds 'n jaar een Imbert houtgasgenerator aan boord.

Deze houtgasgenerator met een bunkerinhoud van 1,6 m³ was al een van de grootste die Imbert kon leveren.
Deze bunker stond achter de eerste twee ramen naast de rechter cabinedeur en moest via het laddertje op het dak worden bijgevuld.

image (4)_colorSAI_result.jpg

M.B.S. EL 104 - AB 14 D III, on the same day at the depot site in Gennep, August 21, 1943 (photo J. Voerman)

This railcar also has an Imbert wood gas generator on board.

This wood gas generator with a bunker capacity of 1.6 m³ was located behind the first two windows next to the right sliding door and had to be refilled via the ladder on the roof.

Unlike the D I and D II, the D III had sliding doors on both sides, just behind the cab doors.

MBS DIV 103 Gennep 19 september 1937_colorSAI_result.jpg

M.B.S. EL 103 - D IV between the half-round shed and the workshop at the rolling bridge in Gennep, September 19, 1937 (photo W.D.J. Cramer)
In comparison with D V, the entry D IV appears as IV without the D as an addition.

Both D IV and the D V have not been converted with a wood gas generator, both locomotives stood still during the war years.

MBS 102 DV Gennep 17 april 1941_colorSAI_result.jpg

M.B.S. EL 102 D V in front of the half-round shed at Gennep, August 21, 1943

This locomotive was kept ready for the occupier with the necessary diesel oil, which is why the locomotive could still run under its own power in 1943.

MBS EL 101 Vl 7-5-1942_colorSAI_result.jfif

M.B.S. EL 101 as the only mail-baggage car not converted at the depot site in Gennep, May 17, 1942 (photo J. Voerman)

On September 17, 1944, the last M.B.S. trams rode between Nijmegen and Venlo.

Tram set D I (EL 106 - AB 13) had just finished the service to Nijmegen and was standing at the station when the liberation of Nijmegen began.

The track between Nijmegen and Gennep was so damaged and blown out of shape by heavy military equipment that D I and others in Nijmegen were unable to return via their own track.

Tram unit D II was without a control car after the AB 12 was destroyed in a collision with a tree at the interchange in Malden in June 1944, out of service at the workshop in Gennep.

Tram unit D III was also at the workshop in Gennep, partly dismantled for a major overhaul.

D IV and D V were both out of service in the sand pit near Heijen, but D V was severely damaged by fire.

The EL 101 also did not escape the violence of war, Gennep was the most damaged place in the Netherlands after Venlo...

Ex. MBS 101, Handelsterrein, april 1946_colorSAI_result.jpg

M.B.S. EL 101 on the Handelsterrein in Rotterdam, April 20, 1946

Ex. MBS 102, Handelsterrein, april 1946_colorSAI_result.jpg

M.B.S. EL 102 D V, door brand beschadigd, op het Handelsterrein te Rotterdam, 20 april 1946

Ex. MBS 103, Handelsterrein, april 1946 2 (2)_colorSAI_result.jpg

M.B.S. EL 103 D IV op het Handelsterrein te Rotterdam, 20 april 1946.

De loc is op rolbokken gezet om het via R.T.M. spoor naar de Centrale Werkplaats te kunnen vervoeren.

Alle ex-M.B.S. materieel is op deze wijze van het Handelsterrein naar de C.W. gebracht.

D III rongenwagen9-5-1946_colorSAI_result.jpeg

M.B.S. EL 104 D III komt aan op het Handelsterrein te Rotterdam, 9 mei 1946.

De motorwagen staat, ironisch genoeg, op een Duitse rongenwagen van de D.R.

EL 105 7-4-1946 J. Voerman_colorSAI_result.jpeg

M.B.S. EL 105 D II op het Handelsterrein te Rotterdam, 7 april 1946.

Ex. MBS 106, Handelsterrein, april 1946 2_colorSAI_result.jpg

M.B.S. EL 106 D I op het Handelsterrein te Rotterdam, 1 mei 1946.

The above photos by Jan Voerman show the condition of the cars as they emerged from the war.

The new owner, N.V. Rotterdamsche Tramweg Maatschappij, has put all acquired equipment back into service, except for the EL 101 and the AB 12.
Parts of the EL 101 were used for the rebuilding of the M 67, the bogies were used for the M 1807 'Scholekster' and the remainder was removed in 1954.

M.B.S. series LE 101 - 106, from 1945 to 1967

There are no known photos of EL 101 parked at the Central Workshop at Kromme Zandweg in Rotterdam.

It is known that the bogies of EL 101 and the traction motors of M 74 were used for the 

R.T.M. M 1807 'Scholekster'.

This last built locomotive had a whisper-quiet air-cooled Deutz V8 diesel of 180 hp and was similar in construction to

the MD 1805 'Meeuw' and M 1806 'Bergeend'.

M 1807 was put into service on June 7, 1956 and operated until it was withdrawn from service in 1964 with a defect.

Although this less powerful locomotive had a 180 hp diesel as a power source, this power was only half used because only one bogie was equipped with traction motors, and it could barely keep up to the running times according to the timetable.
If the locomotive had four traction motors, it would probably not have been jokingly called 'Solex'.

RTM M 1807 scholekster 8-11-1955.jpg
M 1807 Scholekster 8-11-1955 Cwp Rt.jpg

R.T.M. M 1807 'Schoiekster' after the in-house built frame was fitted with a superstructure by the Hoogeveen bodywork factory.

Rotterdam C.W., October 14, 1955 (photo H.P. Kaper)

RTM M 1807, Rosestraat, 9-5-1959.jpg

R.T.M. M 1807 'Scholekster' at Rosestraat station before departure to Hellevoetsluis, may 9th, 1959 (photo H. Ruitenbeek)

The EL 102 D V was put into service in 1948 as M 69, with the locomotive having her M.B.S. preserved appearance.

Due to a short circuit and the subsequent fire on July 9, 1951 in Oostvoorne, the locomotive burned down completely.

Bodywork factory 'Hoogeveen' built a new structure and the locomotive entered service in 1952

as MD 1805 'Meeuw'.

M69 Handelsterrein_colorSAI_result.jpeg

The EL 102 D V was put into service in 1948 as the M 69, with the locomotive having her M.B.S. preserved appearance.

Due to a short circuit and the subsequent fire on July 9, 1951 in Oostvoorne, the locomotive burned down completely.

Bodywork factory 'Hoogeveen' built a new structure and the locomotive entered service in 1952 as MD 1805 'Meeuw'.

R.T.M. M 69 Rt CW 13-07-1951.jpg

R.T.M. M 69 after the fire of July 9, 1951 in Oostvoorne, stands in the Central Workshop in Rotterdam, July 13, 1951

The M 69 would not be rebuilt in wood, but was fitted with a new steel superstructure by the Hoogeveen bodywork factory in Hoogeveen and returned to service a year later as MD 1805 'Meeuw'.

She drove in this guise until the abolition of the tram services in February 1966, after which she ended up at the Recreational Tram Museum in Hellevoetsluis via the Tramweg Foundation, which has been in Ouddorp since 1991.

On August 11, 1952, R.T.M. M 1805 'Meeuw' back in service.
The locomotive is here in the Entrepotstraat in Rotterdam on August 23, 1952 (photo J.J. Overwater)

rtm105.jpg

R.T.M. M 1805 'Meeuw' in the T.S. period at Hellevoetsluis, 1971

WP_20150926_005.jpg

Former R.T.M. equipment in Ouddorp on September 26, 2015 (photo from our own archive), with the M 1805 second from the right

EL 103 D IV was used for its first test runs in 1946 as the M 68, during which the locomotive kept its M.B.S. preserved appearance.

The now R.T.M. M 68 was the locomotive that suffered the least war damage at Gennep.

At the beginning of 1947, the locomotive burned down completely in Poortugaal, after a fire was caused by the incessant damaging of power cables to the traction motors.

In the C.W. (Central Workshop) the locomotive was rebuilt with the same appearance, with the following changes;

The engine room was shortened to create a luggage compartment

The locomotive was now given number M 67

The old Stork G8 diesel engine was replaced by a GMC 12 cylinder 2-stroke diesel of 150 hp

The traction motors in the front bogie were omitted

Since then, the M 67 has driven at the R.T.M. until the last moment.

M68 on the way to Numansdorp-Haven 12-04-1947 photographed in Blaaksedijk with the carriage

M 68 on it's way to Numansdorp-Haven with the carriages BD413 AB416 AB415 (ex-MBS AB3-AB7-AB10) Blaaksedijk 12-04-1947 (photo J. Voerman)

A short time later the locomotive burned out at Poortugaal.

M67 new.jpeg

The newly built M 67 rolls out of the C.W. on Kromme Zandweg in Rotterdam on March 18, 1949 (photo J. Voerman)

image (4).jpeg

R.T.M. M 67 in regular service in Spijkenisse, May 5, 1963 (photo J.J. Overwater)

EB19660809-50044.jpg

R.T.M. M 67 at Putselaan during the break down of the old tram tracks.
In the background, a clear path is given to the successor, Rotterdam, August 9, 1966 (photo E. Bary)

M67 transport 1990.jpeg

R.T.M. M 67 is ready for transport to R.T.M. museum in Ouddorp, December 15, 1990 (photo J.A. Bonthuis)

67 kast.jpg

During the major overhaul (read reconstruction) M 67 is on diplorries in the railyard, Ouddorp July 12, 2004 (photo own archive)

After this major overhaul, the M 67 has been looking like new for quite some time now, Ouddorp July 21, 2021 (photo from our own archive)

After M 68, M 69 and M 67, EL 104 D III was the last ex-MBS locomotive to enter service in 1949.
Because first number M 68 was discontinued, it could be reissued to a locomotive again.
For this purpose, the locomotive received, like M 69 and M 67, a cab on both sides.

 

image (1)_colorSAI_result.jpeg

R.T.M. M 68 with the carriages AB 391 and AB 392 in Oostvoorne town center, July 8, 1951 (photo archive NVBS)

The luggage compartment was eliminated and a GMC Detroit twin-six 12 cylinder 2-stroke diesel engine with 286 hp was installed, and 2 additional traction motors were installed, so that M 68 was the strongest diesel locomotive, which the R.T.M. owned at that time.

RTM motor trams M68 (ex-MBS D III) and M69 (ex-MBS D V), Oostvoorne Dorp, 16-10-1949_colorSA
GMC Twin Diesel.jpg

R.T.M. M 69 left and R.T.M. M 68 on the right in Oostvoorne town center, M 69 still has it's M.B.S. appearance, while M 68 looks clearly different compared to M 69, Oostvoorne October 16, 1949.
This image of a G.M.C. comes from an old brochure. Twin-Six 2-stroke diesel engine, like M 68 also had.

The M 68 mainly ran services between Rotterdam and Oostvoorne.

In 1953 the locomotive collided with a N.S. shunting locomotive was pushed over in Rosestraat, with the chassis heavily damaged.

RTM M68, knocked over by an NS locomotive, Rosestraat, 10-10-1953_colorSAI_resul

R.T.M. M 68 knocked over by a N.S. shunting locomotive series 500/600 in the Rosestraat.

Three out of four traction motors are clearly visible in the bogies, Rotterdam, October 10, 1953

The locomotive was rebuilt at the Hoogeveen bodywork factory in Hoogeveen, in accordance with the M 1805 'Meeuw' with steel plating.

The new number became M 1806 'Bergeend', after which this locomotive lasted until the end of the R.T.M. tram services on February 14, 1966.

The R.T.M. M 1806 'Bergeend' was scrapped at Oostvoorne in November 1967.

Diesel-electric locomotive RTM M 1806 'Bergeend', during a shunting movement the Rosestraat

Diesel-electric locomotive R.T.M. M 1806 'Bergeend', during a shunting movement at Rosestraat in Rotterdam, April 16, 1964

(photo archive NVBS)

The EL 105 arrived as M 66 coupled with the AB 423 (the old AB 14) in 1947 at the R.T.M. employed.

The wagon body remained its old M.B.S. shape, albeit with some adjustments for the services at the R.T.M.

The AB 423 was given a postal department in 1953 and partly due to the derailment on the Dordtschestraatweg, the tram services to North Brabant and Flakkee were discontinued in 1956.

The R.T.M. M 66 - ABPm 423 was given a new deployment area around Rotterdam.
In 1951 / 1952 the railcar received a new 4-cylinder GMC diesel engine of 96 hp, with a small

renovation as a result.

In 1958 the couple went to Middelharnis to replace the M 65 - ABPm 422.

On April 16, 1960, the M 66 was exchanged with the M 65, whereby the M 66 remained without a carriage in Middelharnis, in order to shunt freight services there.

This was a dangerous situation, as the M 66 only had a steering position on one side, the blind side had been pushed and pulled.

This work also ended in the mid-1960s, so the M 66 was brought back to Rotterdam, so that the railcar

came out of service.

In 1962 the railcar was completely dismantled down to the frame, with the bogies being retained.

This frame was taken to the Hoogeveen bodywork factory in October 1962 for a new steel superstructure and was subsequently repurposed as the MBD 1700.

In this version it had no traction motors, but two steering positions with Scharfenberg couplings and a generator set with a Deutz 12 cylinder diesel engine.

This new generator truck could not drive independently under its own power, it had to do this

the EB 1701 and/or EB 1702 are required.

This new tram, called 'Sperwer', ran the very last tram ride between Rotterdam and Spijkenisse on November 6, 1965.

After the tram services were discontinued on February 14, 1966, the set was sold to the Zillertalbahn in Austria, where it operated as VT 1 from June 27/28, 1967 to 1999.

For this purpose the entire set was re-gauged from 1067mm to 750mm.

In 1999, through a crowdfunding of the now overcomplete set by the current R.T.M. bought back and it is currently (2023) being completely revised and overhauled so that it can be used by the museum.

In fact, the EL 105 is the third M.B.S. postal baggage trolley that still exists, next to the EL 102 and EL 103!

13895446_529558613902510_2540065918542816908_n.jpg

R.T.M. M 66 - ABPm 423 in Middelharnis, date and photographer unknown

RTM M66-AB423 Boergoensestraat-Wolphaertsbocht, collision M66 with tanker loaded with asphalt

R.T.M. M 66 - ABPm 423 after the collision with a tanker loaded with asphalt in the Boergoensestraat-Wolphaertsbocht,

Rotterdam November 27, 1957 (photo J. Oerlemans)

M66+423+B1514, Rosestraat, 28-11-1959_colorSAI_result.jpg

R.T.M. M 66 - ABPm 423 and B 1513 in the Entrepotstraat / Rosestraat in Rotterdam, November 28, 1959 (photographer n.a.)

RTM M66 31-03-1961.jpg

R.T.M. M 66 - ABPm 423 without the associated control car, in Hellevoetsluis. After the control car of the combination

M 65 - ABD 422 was destroyed by a collision, control car ABD 423M was disconnected from the M 66 and short coupled with

M65.

Locomotive M 66 then continued to shunt as a separate locomotive at Middelharnis until the tram service there was discontinued.

Hellevoetsluis, March 31, 1961 (photo J.A. Bonthuis)

R.T.M. 1700 Spijkenisse 15-08-1965 JA Bonthuis.jpeg

MBD 1700  in Spijkenisse, August 15, 1965 (photo J.A. Bonthuis)

EL 106 arrived as M 65 coupled with the AB 422 (the old AB 13) in 1947 at the R.T.M. employed.

The wagon body remained its old M.B.S. shape, albeit with some adjustments for the services at the R.T.M.

The AB 422 was given a mail section in 1953 and partly due to the flood disaster in February 1953, the tram services to North Brabant and Flakkee were discontinued in 1956.
In 1951/1952 the locomotive received a new 4-cylinder GMC diesel engine of 96 hp, resulting in a minor renovation.

In 1958 the tram set went to Middelharnis to replace M 65 - ABPm 422.

On April 16, 1960, M 65 was swapped with M 66, because M 65 was damaged by a collision on the Korperweg.

D I M65-ABP422 strijen.jpeg

R.T.M. M 65 - ABPm 422 at Strijen with the sliding door on the right and incomplete air inlet, October 19, 1947 (photo J. Voerman)

M65 + 422, Spijkenisse, 29-10-1959.jpg

R.T.M. M 65 - ABm 422 in Spijkenisse,  October 29, 1959

The locomotive had sliding door removed since 1956, as evidenced by the difference in wood color where the sliding door once was...
The original sliding door of EL 106 from the M.B.S. period was located at the level of the door hood just above the motor bogie, after all the steering position was the converted mail compartment.

RTM M 65, aanrijding met een autobus van de Twee Provinciën, Korperweg Rotterdam, 16-1-196
RTM M 65, collision with a bus from the Two Provinces, Korperweg Rotterdam, 16-1-196

The M 65 after the collision with a bus from the Twee Provinciën on Korperweg in Rotterdam South. January 16, 1960

The tram set, consisting of a control car RTM AB 423 M and a diesel-electric locomotive

The tram set, consisting of control car R.T.M. AB 423 m and diesel-electric locomotive M 65, at Hellevoetsluis station.
Control car AB 422m was damaged after a collision and replaced with AB 423m, as it started in service in this combination in 1934.

June 11, 1960 (photo J.W. Sluiter)

RTM-M65-7.jpg

R.T.M. M 65 burned out at the C.W., with carriage ABm 423 also sustaining serious damage.
The tram was never repaired and was subsequently demolished. Rotterdam January 19, 1962 (photo n.a.)

bottom of page